End of november is the whole city ready for Christmas. The sparkling festive lights have been switched on and markets, ice-rinks and villages are popping up all over the city. Each year opens a new Christmas Village in Vienna. But how to find the most joyful and traditional one?
Not so easy. But during my Christmas walking tours I show you the most joyful and silent sides of Christmas in Vienna, for exampel the Christmas market on the Freyung. This Christmas Market is also one of the oldest ones in Vienna, opend in 1772. Today you can find here extraordinary handicrafts, glass decorations, traditional mangers and ceramics.
With groups with kids I recommend to visit the biggest Christmas Market inVienna in front of the town hall. The kids can go by a reindeer train and follow installations in the townhall park, which are based om Christmas stories for children. Furthermore you can attend a bake cours to learn how to bake ginger-bread, you can listen daily to different bands of trumpeters, and you can taste the famous Christmas-Punsch.
I show my guests also the silent sides of Christmas in Vienna. More than twenty churches in the city center have a marvellous hand carved Christmas crib and offer special Christmas masses composed by Mozart, Beethoven or Haydn. I explain the history of the Christmas customs according my recently published book "Christmas in Vienna". I let you know the best restaurants where you can taste the tipical Christmas food, its culinary delicacies and the best gift shops of the city.
I wish you a reflective and joyful Christmas and a happy new year.
Christmas in Vienna
– the most silent and joyful time of the year
Nächste Führungen // Upcoming guided tours
- Das Schloss Neugebäude: vom Renaissanceschloss zur Feuerhalle Simmering on 11. November 2020 10:00
- Der Hase mit den Bernsteinaugen: Die Geschichte der Famile Ephrussi in Wien on 20. November 2020 16:00
- Der Wiener Zentralfriedhof und seine Ehrengräber on 28. November 2020 11:00
- Wiener Weihnacht: Tradition und Brauchtum damals und heute on 11. December 2020 10:00
- „Das Glück ist ein Vogerl“: Glückssymbole und Sitten zum Jahreswechsel on 30. December 2020 10:00
Reservierung // Reservation
Auf Wunsch führe ich Sie durch die Stadt Wien oder in Regionen rund um Wien mit einem auf Ihre Bedürfnisse abgestimmten Programm. Ich freue mich von Ihnen zu hören. Kontaktformular
By request, I can also organize guided tours in the city of Vienna or in the areas around Vienna with your own customized program. Don’t hesitate to contact me. Contact Form